May 28 2009

Clearing Up The Confusion

My doc called today and answered most of the questions we had.  First, he confirmed the surgery date for June 18th, and explained what needed to be done in preparation.  I have to have medical clearance from my primary because they will be tubing me.  I was a little surprised that they decided to tube me, because from other stories I have read, most people just get twilight sedation or local anesthetic.  I’m guessing that because they are repairing both sides as well as taking biopsies, that this might be a little bit longer of a surgery, and that it would warrant being under general anesthesia.

Next he explained that after speaking with Jess’ IVF doc, that he would keep the biopsies and do all the pathology instead.  I’m unsure why IVFNJ would not want to do it.  I have read on other sites, as well as medical journals, that they have frozen TESE sperm with not the greatest results, but some good results, no less.  Oh well, I guess we will just have to go with the flow.

Recovery time for me will be about 2 weeks before I can return to work.  Most people are released for work after 1 week, but with my job, I need to be 100% before I can return.  In regards to the varicocele repair, the doc said you normally have between 3 and 6 months before you can see any results.  He’s putting the mark at 4 months before we do any more testing.   This would put us at starting another IVF round sometime in November or early December (if all goes well).


May 26 2009

A Little Confusion

Jess got a call from the IVFNJ doc today.  He was confused about the message he recieved from my doc.  My doc was trying to coordinate my varicocele repair with IVFNJ.  He wasn’t trying to get Jess on an IVF cycle, but did want to send some biopsies to IVFNJ for sperm extraction/freezing (if they find any). Her doc explained to Jess that they don’t really freeze sperm from TESE.  It has a terrible pregnancy rate, and they would not count on it as backup.  This is a small step backward, because we thought if they had found some sperm, that we could freeze it for the next round of IVF.  Regardless, I will probably have to go through another surgery for extraction.  This just moves us closer to donor backup.


May 23 2009

We Have A Date

While we were on our journey home from Hackensack, we got a call from the receptionist of the docs office.  The surgery is scheduled for June 18th.  We were a little surprised that they scheduled so fast considering the doc said he wouldn’t have a date until after the holiday weekend.  Things are starting to move fast.  I just hope it works!!


May 22 2009

Surgery Is A Go!!

I’m probably the only one in the world right now who is excited to be getting scheduled for surgery.  Before I get ahead of myself, Let me talk about the appointment I had today at the doc.  We took the trip up to Hackensack finally feeling good, and with hopes of moving things forward.  We met with the doc, and first discussed the the last MRI results and the reasons we why went into a cautionary mode with all the tests.  We all agreed it was the right thing to do.  I’m glad we ruled things out and didn’t just jump to conclusions.  The doc then explained the next step was getting back to the original reason I went there, infertility.  He discussed the surgery, recovery time, and future appointments.  He couldn’t give us an exact date due to the holiday weekend, and the fact that he wanted to get in touch with IVFNJ.  I guess I’ll have to wait until Tuesday for more info.