Jul 15 2010

Anatomy (Take Two!)

Yesterday was our second attempt at our level 2 anatomy scan.  Choochie decided to cooperate much better this time.  The doc decided to do the whole scan over again, so we got another hours worth of Choochie TV!!  With the amazing views, came a bit of bad news.  Things were going so smoothly.  With our track record, I knew that would eventually come to an end.  First off, here are a couple new pics of our baby girl!!

Choochies Feet!!

 

 Face Shot!

 

Profile Pic!

Isn’t she cute?  Anyway, on to the news.

The scan, for the most part went really well.  All of Choochies measurements and major parts looked great.  The only problem was a small white spot inside one of her heart chambers.  The heart itself was structurally fine.  The doc said this white spot was a calcification inside one of the chambers of the heart.  He made sure to continually let us know, that this probably was nothing to worry about.  He seemed to portray that he sees this multiple times a day, and most either disappear, of have no effect whatsoever.  He did however let us know that this could be a soft marker for downs syndrome.  He was quick to tell us that by no means does this mean that there is a problem, and healthy babies are born with this every day.  With the results of our Nuchal Translucency scan, and the blood tests, he said that this little spot brings our 1 in 10000 chance down to 1 in around 5000.  He also said that if there was any test that he really trusted, it was the Nuchal Translucency, which we passed with flying colors (something like .09).  It was a weird feeling, hearing the doc tell us that there could be something wrong with  our little miracle.  We did however, leave there feeling confident, without too much worry about it.  The real worry came at the end of the appointment, when the ultrasound tech came in and asked the doc to recheck the cervix, because she got a small measurement.  The doc agreed, and Jess was prepared for another surprise wanding!!  The cervix measured at 2.60cm.  The scan they did last week was 3cm.  A couple weeks earlier, at the OB’s office it was 4.36.  Clearly we have a change.  The doc said she wasn’t in the danger zone yet, but it is clear that the cervix is diminishing.  The “short cervix” carries a major risk of preterm labor.  It is a very scary thought.  We have come this far, and we already love her so much!! 😥

We finally got the return phone call from Jess’ OB regarding yesterdays results.  At first he didn’t seem worried at all, and said some people just have short cervix’s.  He changed his tune as soon as looked back to a couple of weeks ago and saw the dramatic change from 4 to 2 cm.  I believe his exact words were “OOOOOHHHHHH!!!”  He did however say that we are not  in the danger zone yet, and that he felt confident waiting until Monday for a followup ultrasound.  Jess discussed options for the future, just in case it gets worse.  One option is a cervical cerclage.  Unfortunately at 21 weeks (tomorrow) there is a huge risk of doing damage.  The doc said he wouldn’t even consider a cerclage if we were past the 26 week mark.   They usually like to put them in between 12 and 14 weeks.  I guess we’ll cross that bridge when or if we get to it.  Otherwise it is strict bed rest, and possible admittance until delivery.  Jess is on modified bed rest until Monday.  We will have more direction then.  Hopefully it doesn’t get any worse, and we can get into the late weeks of pregnancy.  Please pray for us!!