Let me start off by saying, I had probably the worst night of sleep I’ve had in about ten years. I woke up Jess multiple times in need of my pain meds. I felt so bad every time I woke her up, because I just wanted her to get a good night sleep for her egg retrieval today. I’m not too sure why, but I was in a little more pain this time around than last. The only thing I can chalk it up to is that my doc, as he said “Took ALOT!” out of me.
We all got up at 7am and Jess and Lori got ready to head out. I didn’t make the trip with them for the egg retrieval, because there is no way I would be able to sit there for that long. I’m still hurtin’ pretty bad. The 2 of them set me up on the couch and then headed out. About ten minutes after they left, the phone here rang. The caller ID showed me that it was her docs calling. I knew they would be calling this morning, because we never received a call yesterday about the results of my sperm retrieval (Long story, but someone dropped the ball on that one!) The lady on the phone introduced herself as Jess’ embryologist. My stomach starting turning, and all I wanted to say to her was that maybe she should call Jess. I bunkered down and basically told her to let me have it! I was ready for the result, I prepared myself for this for months. The donor sperm was in place, and the result of no sperm would not be news to me!! Of course I would be a little disappointed, but nowhere near as devastated as I was a year ago. The next words from the embryologist hit me like a brick right upside my head. Confusion spread throughout my body and I could feel the tears welling up inside. I was not ready for this. I didn’t even know what to say. I can’t remember exactly what she said, but all I know is that they found sperm. Not only did they find sperm, but it was of good enough quality to use for ICSI, and there was enough to pick from. She explained to me the reason they didn’t call yesterday was that while they had found sperm, none were motile last night. They let them sit overnight and voila, we have motile sperm. I immediately began to panic, and needed to get a hold of Jess. The months of preparation for donor, all came crashing down in seconds, and I wasn’t prepared to allow myself hope again. I’m still not! This could all end with devastation again, and it would definitely hurt just as much as the first time I found out that I had no sperm.
My phone call to Jess was awkward, and she could tell by my voice something was wrong. I gave her the news, and neither of us had anything to say. I kept repeating to her that i had wish they called her instead of me. I’m not sure why I wanted this, but I’m thinking it wouldn’t be real if it happened that way. There wasn’t any discussion, I just told her to talk to the embryologist when she got there. I waited a little over an hour, and I finally got the call from Lori to let me know they took her in.
Lori explained to me the conversation they had with the embryologist, and what they were going to do. They are going to use whatever sperm they can from me to fertilize as many eggs as they can first. The embryologist also stated she wasn’t finished looking through my specimen, so there could be more. If there are leftover eggs, they will fertilize them with our donor backup “Kurt”! The fertilized eggs will be stored separately. We will know much more, tomorrow morning. There still is the possibility that they won’t be able to use any of mine, so we are not getting our hopes too high!! All we know for now is they retrieved 13 eggs. Funny thing is, 13 is my lucky number!!!
When Jess and Lori got home, Jess was still a little groggy, and we all decided to take a nap!!! There is nothing more we can do tonight but wait. Here’s a crude illustration of what is to occur tonight at the lab!!
Jess’ symptoms of the day – she is in a pretty good deal of pain, as to be expected after an egg retrieval. The bloating is worse, and she is complaining she has back pain. We are currently on a urine watch, because she is not going enough!!! Lori called the doc, and she said that if Jess doesn’t void enough by 7pm, that we have to go to the ER for her to get catheterized. Let’s pray for pee!! I’ll update later with our pee results!!!!!
Jess’ Medications – Ciproflaxin, Medrol, Percocet
Kenny’s Meds – Erythromycin, Perocet