Apr 29 2010

Hyperemesis Gravidarum

Yep, that’s what Jess has!!  Hyperemesis gravidarum (HG) is a severe form of morning sickness, with unrelenting, excessive pregnancy-related nausea and/or vomiting that prevents adequate intake of food and fluids.  The percentage of pregnant women afflicted range from 0.3% to 2.0%!!  I figure since we only had a minute chance of even getting pregnant with my sperm, that it is only right that we fit into that 2%!!!!! 

Yesterday began completely normal.  We both headed to work, and I got the phone call around 9am.  Jess said she wasn’t feeling good, and she had put a call into the doctor.  Now, I knew she hadn’t been 100 percent for a couple of days, but I had no idea it was this bad.  Jess spent most of her morning in the bathroom (TMI ALERT!!!!!!) with it coming out of both ends!!!!  Her OB sent her directly to the emergency room.  I left work early, but not early enough to catch the first sounds of the heartbeat from our little Choochie.  The ER wanted to check Choochie, and make sure everything was OK.  They told Jess they would try with the doppler, and if they couldn’t find the heartbeat, they would go directly to the ultrasound to make sure everything is OK.  The Docs said not to worry if they didn’t hear anything from the doppler, because it might be a little too early to hear it.  They poked around a bit with no luck until the nurse decided she would give one last try and check higher.  As soon as she moved the probe up, Jess said Choochie was loud and clear, beating at a cool 160bpm’s!!!

They hooked Jess up to IV fluids, and gave her a couple of anti-nasuea shots to even things out.  When they felt she was stable (and not completely pale anymore), they sent us on our way with orders to follow up with the OB today. 

To make a long story short, we headed to the OB today, and were given our marching orders.  They ordered at home IV therapy, and scheduled another checkup for tomorrow.  The company that does the at home therapy called tonight and explained the course of action we would take.  They ordered her continuous IV fluids (IV in the arm) through the weekend as well as a pump for anti-nausea medicine (some kind of port they will put in her thigh).  We don’t have all the details, as they said they would contact us tomorrow, to iron things out.  All I have to say, is this weekend should be very interesting!!  I will definitely keep you all up to speed!!

To Be Continued……..